Broccoli is a nutritional powerhouse full of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. A cup of cooked broccoli offers as much vitamin C as an orange, and is a good source of beta-carotene. Broccoli contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc too.
- While spinach is usually touted as the best protein rich vegetable, broccoli is an often overlooked alternative. A 1 cup serving of raw or cooked broccoli has only 55 calories and 3.7 grams of protein. Along with this, broccoli is also great for weight loss because it is rich in fiber.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli stems
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 1 & 1/2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Optional - shredded cheese to garnish
Instructions: In a soup pot, sauté shallots in olive oil until transparent, about 4-5min. Add broccoli and chicken or vegetable broth and cook on medium heat until broccoli stems will pierce easily with a sharp knife.
Let cool for 5-10 minutess and then place mixture in blender or a food processor and blend/process until smooth. Pour back into a soup pot and heat.
To make this a complete meal on our weight loss program add 3-4 ounces of protein to 1 cup of the soup. We like to add 3-4 ounces of cooked diced chicken or shredded cheese.