This recipe is super simple and easy to adapt to whatever veggies you have stocked up in the fridge. If you are still on the weight loss program with Dr. Sheila Hughes we suggest using low glycemic veggies such as Mushrooms & Celery.
Other non-starchy vegetables to use would be:
- Bell Peppers
- Brussel Sprouts
Remember if your still on the weight loss program to only eat the boneless skinless breast meat. When your done with dinner make sure to pick the chicken clean and place leftover pieces of chicken in a container to easily use on salads later in the week. For this recipe we suggest using a 4 pound chicken. Chickens under 5 pounds tend to be more tender and cook more evenly in our experiences.
- One 4 to 4.5 pound chicken
- 6-8 Garlic Cloves (Peeled and Smashed)
- 4-5 Thyme Sprigs
- 1-2 cups Mushrooms (Whole)
- 1 Medium Onion (Peeled and cut into 1/8ths)
- 4-6 Stalks of Celery (Cut into 2-3 inch pieces)
- 3-4 Tbsps Oilive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 475 degrees.
- From 12 inches above the chicken generously season the cavity of the bird with kosher salt and pepper. Place the Thyme and smashed garlic into the cavity of the chicken. (You can also add a halved lemon as well.)
- Using either a roasting pan or a large cast iron skillet place the prepped vegetables in the bottom of the pan. Toss with 2-3 Tbsps of olive oil.
- You can either Truss the chicken or not. We tend to skip this step and leave the chicken Un-Trussed. Rub the exterior of the chicken with 1-2 Tbsps of Olive Oil. And liberally sprinkle (from 12 inches above the chicken) with kosher salt & pepper. Place on vegetables in the pan.
- Roast in oven - Place the pan in the oven and roast the chicken for 15 minutes at 475°F. Then reduce the heat to 400°F and roast for an additional 45 minutes, or until the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°F on a meat thermometer and the juices are clear.
- Place the roasted chicken on a cutting board to rest for 10 minutes. Tent the chicken with foil to keep warm. Turn off the oven and you can place the veggies in there to keep them warm until they are served.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the roasted veggies.
Serve this with a salad of simple mixed greens with our mustard vinaigrette.