Eggs are a great source of inexpensive high quality protient. One Egg has 6 grams of protein & 5 grams of healthy fats. Even better to choose pasteured or Omega-3 enriched eggs as they are even better for you. They are much higher in vitamin A & E and contain higher amounts of Omega-3 fats!
Another great thing about Frittata's is that they are a great way to clean out the fridge. Instead of ricotta use another cheese such as shredded mozzarella or goat. Other vegetables that would be great include: Roasted Red Bell Peppers, Onions, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Kale & Zucchini. A simple salad of Mixed Mixed Greens with our Lemon Vinaigrette is a great pairing for this dish.
- 6 Eggs
- 8 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 cup Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 4-5 Basil Leaves (Optional/Roughly Chopped)
- 2 Tbsps Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl. Add Salt & Pepper to taste. Use a whisk or fork to beat the eggs until lightly frothy. If you want to use basil also mix this into the mixture at this time.
- Place 2 tablespoon of Olive Oil in a medium non-stick oven safe skillet and swirl to coat pan. Once the pan is hot add mushrooms and stir with a Silicone Spatula. When mushrooms are nicely browned add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Pour the egg mixture over the spinach and mushrooms and continue to stif for 1-2 minutes. Then spoon dollops of the ricotta cheese on top.
- Transfer to the oven for approximately 5-6 minutes. Or until golden brown and risen.
- Remove from oven and invert on to a large cutting board or serving dish. Slice in half and place onto plates.
Serve this with a simple fruit salad or sliced apples. A simple mixed greens salad is also a perfect accompaniment.